- Wash (rinse in a colander) your rice and soak in a pot with water covering it for 1 hour.
- Measure out and prep your ingredients so they are all ready to go.
- Large pot for the rice
- Parchment paper the size of the bottom of your pot (if your pot is not non-stick)
- Clean tea towel or paper towel, that fits the top of your rice pot
- A large tray or plate that is larger in diameter than your rice pot.
- Large pot for the chicken or a large sauté pan, a sauté pan has higher sides than a skillet, a lid for the pan or pot.
Journey To Northern Iran
Recipe courtesy of Leila Nabizadeh and In My Kitchen Inc.
1/2 cup olive oil, more as needed
4-6 chicken pieces,
1 onion, sliced thinly
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoon turmeric
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 1/2 cups water, adjust as needed
2 teaspoons salt, Adjust to your taste
1 cup Aloo, Persian golden plums
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 Tsp Saffron
1/4 cup hot water
2 cups basmati rice (washed and soaked for 1 hour)
3 litres water
3 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp butter
1 pinch saffron (optional)
Tahdig (Crispy Persian Rice)
In a pot over medium heat sauté onion and garlic with one tea spoon of turmeric in some oil until they are golden.
Add chicken pieces, sauté each side for 2 minutes
Add tomato paste salt and pepper and the rest of turmeric, add oil as needed.
Sauté for 2-3 more minutes, add saffron and water
Stir and cover with the lid and cook for 20 minutes.
Add the plums and cook for another 20 minutes.
Wash and rinse rice and add to a medium pot and cover with water, soak for 1 hour. Drain rice.
In a medium pot bring the water and salt to boil, when the water is boiling add the rice and cook for 7-10 minutes. Drain
Heat the olive oil in a none stick pan add a pinch of saffron ,remove from the heat ,top it with rice
Place butter pieces on top of the rice.
Top pot with a layer of clean paper towel and place the lid on top of that.
Reduce the heat and cook it for 30-45 minutes.
In My Kitchen offers culinary experiences where passionate and knowledgeable home cooks invite you into their home to share their recipes and culture. All culinary experiences are now online. Check out more culinary experiences here. In addition to our zoom experiences, we hope to re-start our in-home culinary experiences in the near future.
These recipes are intended for the participants of Leila's online cooking class.